6/29/11 and Continues...

Some days I finish up thinking this thing is never going to get done, and it's going to look horrible when I done. Other days I am pleased with the progress and see the light at the end of the tunnel. Today was one of those days. I bought some supplies yesterday and got to work today. I primed the back half of the car with grey primer over the green metal etch primer. This accentuated some things that need to be addressed.

I have been dreading this repair, and today is the day to tackle it. Without hesitation, I rough cut a repair panel, bent it on the metal brake and took to trimming it to replace the rusted area. Once I had it where I wanted it, I traced it on the fender and cut out the rusted area. Magnets held it in place while I tacked it, supporting it from behind. Once tacked, I finished shaping to the rest of the fender with hammer and dolly. Then I finished welding it in. Grinding the welds down will have to wait until another day since it's already too late.

In the interest of time maximization, I am working on a few areas at the same time. Today, I was sanding, filling and touching up the door panels where the "crack of doom" was repaired as well as the rear hatch and some small spots on the rear corner panels.. I am very pleased with the repairs on the tops of the doors and the bottom of the passenger door. This gives me hope for the upcoming repair to the bottom of the driver's door. If things progress like this, I expect the body to look pretty straight. I also purchased primer SEALER and a respirator as well as some parts I need to begin reassembly. Things are moving ahead at a decent pace.

Prior Day
Next Day

Copyright 2011 All rights reserved.